Elite Fantasy Players Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DonnieBaseball
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 48
Team : Brickhouse
League : Florida State League A
Registration date : 2008-03-23

Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade? Empty
PostSubject: Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade?   Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 5:25 pm

Glaus, Troy
Bedard, Erik
Valverde, Jose

traded for

Jones, Andruw
Braun, Ryan
Back to top Go down
Clyde
Rookie
Rookie
Clyde

Number of posts : 42
Team : Mansfield Ballpark
League : Pacific Coast League (AAA)
Registration date : 2008-03-22

PostSubject: Well, let's see...   Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 6:32 pm

...without knowing the teams involved, I can say this.

You have Braun for Bedard. Both of them are solid second-round kind of picks; Braun is obviously a 3B, and Bedard is a pitcher, so there's that. I could see an even swap between these two based on needs, so they probably cancel each other out.

You have Jones for Glaus. Two guys who may be aging early, or may have just had bad seasons last year. Jones' pre-2007 ceiling was higher, but his 2007 season was also worse. I guess Jones is generally going a little higher in drafts, so I have to assume he's more valuable -- but this one also doesn't seem like THAT big a value difference to me, because nobody really knows what Jones is going to do after last season's fiasco. He could hit 40 home runs like he did in '06, he could bat .200 and be a backup by June. Of course, it's likely the manager who takes Jones is optimistic about him, so might value him more highly than most... but he's looked pretty lost in the preseason. I'm not a commish, but I wouldn't veto a Glaus-for-Jones trade straight up, just because you can't rule out the possibility that either of them might be the better one this year.

...and then you've got the defending MLB saves leader on one side. So yeah, that's a bit unbalanced.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade?   Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 8:07 pm

ridic. to veto that trade.....there is no basis what so ever...

Braun > Bedard simply b/c he is a hitter and more reliable....he probably wont match last years numbers but 30/30 is well within his reach...

Jones> Glaus....Glaus and Jones are both risky picks this season, but they are risky for different reasons...If both of them perform Glaus might get within 80% of Jones production....in reality Glaus will be luck to play 120 games and is one of the biggest injury risk in the league....

Valverde is a closer....a good closer?...well he was last season, but anyone that has been playing this game awhile can remember Valverde as a injury prone tease....as an Astros fan I hope he pans out, but Iam not holding my breath...as far as closers go he is a good gamble, but one thing that kills me is the lack of depth in the Astros pen....who do you get to handcuff Valverde??....

The thing is closers come and go as the season progresses so, although very good, Valverde isnt over paying here...I would actually take the Braun/Jones side everytime...elite bats arent usaully found on waivers - find a closer or good SP is much more likely....

ANYWAY - you NEVER EVER EVER veto a trade unless it effects the league integrity or is collusion...period.....shh...nope, dont say anything...no arguments... no vetos, thats all there is to say....
Back to top Go down
Gunch
Prospect
Prospect
Gunch

Number of posts : 12
Team : Cotton Candy Clippers
League : Florida State A League
Registration date : 2008-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade?   Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 11:20 pm

Im in the league, and voted in favor of the deal. I didnt like the deal itself, but didnt see anything that would cause me to vote against it. Like the previous post, A trade would need to really change the balance of the league to one team or another and just be so outside the bounds that it sniffs of collusion for me to vote against it.

Guess I am glad everyone gets a vote, instead of the commish deciding, since he is the only that voted against it.
Back to top Go down
DonnieBaseball
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade?   Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 11:41 pm

Gunch, Which team is yours?
Back to top Go down
Gunch
Prospect
Prospect
Gunch

PostSubject: Re: Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade?   Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 12:00 am

The "Cotton Candy Clippers"

I posted the draft results (hopefully we will see the rankings soon) and did the draft recap thats up.
Back to top Go down
DonnieBaseball
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade?   Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 12:06 am

ok, cool, it was pretty darn good...although a bit more mentioning of my team(Brickhouse) would have been appreciated. LOL

Anyway, Whats it going to take to get A-rod from you.
Back to top Go down
Gunch
Prospect
Prospect
Gunch

PostSubject: Re: Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade?   Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 1:13 am

Im not in love with Arod, but not sure if I want to shop him either.
If someone makes an offer Ill look at it. You did just trade your best trade chip though.
Back to top Go down
DonnieBaseball
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade?   Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 1:15 am

Allright, fill out your trade block so i can get a starting point
Back to top Go down
Clyde
Rookie
Rookie
Clyde

Number of posts : 42
Team : Mansfield Ballpark
League : Pacific Coast League (AAA)
Registration date : 2008-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade?   Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 7:38 am

Okay, cool. Glad to know what the league policy is on trade vetos...
Back to top Go down
SavesThaDay311
Rookie
Rookie
SavesThaDay311

Number of posts : 23
Team : SavesThaDay311
League : 10 Elite, 09 International AAA runner up
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade?   Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 9:54 am

Hmm... I forgot to go and click pass on Friday... what happens if you dont get either the 4 votes for pass or veto? Does it automatically get vetoed?
Back to top Go down
Gunch
Prospect
Prospect
Gunch

PostSubject: Re: Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade?   Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 11:36 am

It automatically passes after a certain amount of time (48 hours?) if there are not enough votes one way or the other. At least thats what happened this time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade?   Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 1:13 pm

This is true....if a trade does not receive the votes necessary to pass it BUT is not vetoed it will automatically be processed 48 hours after it was accepted.....

Clyde - I completely understand where you are coming from on this trade issue- i disagree, but Iam not trying to bag on you at all.....hope you didnt take it that way.... Smile

On a related note: We will be sending out a constitution to everyone on the site (yes all 180 of you)in the next few days...we are waiting for the last two leagues to draft tonight before we send it out...basically it will have a constitution that will lay out the rules/regulations of the Elite leagues - it will also include a blurb about proper behavior and trading etc.....just to make sure we all stay on the same page...thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade?   Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anybody explain why the commish might have voted to veto this trade?
Page 1 of 1